Last night at the Steve Jobs Theater, Apple officially announced the all new iPhone models for the upcoming year. All the three models namely iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and the iPhone XR now support the bezel-less design we previously saw in the iPhone X.
The iPhone XS is an incremental upgrade to the last year’s iPhone X model, whereas the iPhone XS Max and the iPhone XR are the two new editions to the iPhone X lineup. The iPhone XS starts at $999, the iPhone XS Max starts at $1099 and the iPhone XR starts at $749.
This makes the iPhone XR the cheapest and the most popular iPhone among the new 2018 family. But before you decide to spend your hard earned cash on it, please refer the following Pros and Cons it has to offer.
Pros of buying the iPhone XR
- Despite being the cheapest iPhone among the new lineup, The iPhone XR offers the exact same A12 Bionic chip based on the new 7nm architecture.
- The A12 Bionic chip incorporates a six-core CPU and a four-core GPU with a new dedicated Neural Engine capable of performing five trillion operations per second compared to previous generation’s 600 billion operations per second.
- 30% faster app launches than the iPhone 8.
- It features the new 6.1 – inch (828×1792 pixels) LCD Liquid Retina display with 120Hz touch sample rate and TrueTone support.
- It provides 1 hour and 30 minutes extra battery backup than the iPhone 8 Plus.
- Dual sim support offered via
- Bezel-less edge to edge screen design with more screen to body ratio.
- The new Face ID and 7-megapixel TrueDepth camera system for portrait selfies.
- The new f/1.8 aperture 12-megapixel rear camera with six-piece lens. It also includes optical image stabilization (OIS) and Focus Pixels.
- Available in six vibrant color options including Black, Blue, Coral, White, Yellow, and the product Red version.
Cons of buying the iPhone XR
- Unlike its big brothers, the iPhone XR offers the 828×1792 pixels LCD display. This means you can’t stream Full HD videos despite paying the premium price tag.
- The Liquid Retina is just a fancy word for a regular LCD display and 120Hz touch sample rate doesn’t mean it has a 120Hz display. The screen has a 60Hz refresh rate with 120Hz touch sensing rate just like the original iPhone X. It can be misleading for a lot of general consumers.
- Unlike the new iPhone XS models, the iPhone XR has a single 12-megapixel wide angle rear camera. Which means it generates the portrait mode shots using the software and machine learning. It also means you are loosing on the additional optical zoom and portrait lighting effects.
- No 3D touch or Touch ID.
- Dual sim functionality is limited to selected carriers.
- The Face ID is cool and all but it is still slower and less convenient than the Touch ID.
- It has an Aluminum body with glass front and back unlike the iPhone XS which has a Stainless steel body with glass back and front.
The pre-orders for the iPhone XR starts at Oct. 19 and the shipping starts at Oct. 26. Which is more than a month later the iPhone XS models. We hope this helps you make your purchasing decision.
Stay tuned for the updates.
Recommended by: Zergnet